This can be a fun, festive time of year. But all the shopping, packaging, wrapping and decorating can also create a lot of waste. Here are some ways to have a 'greener' holiday season (which will also help the ocean):
1. Buy local - buying locally can reduce the carbon footprint of your purchases (e.g., items may not be trucked or shipped as far), and may physically help animals like whales by lessening the potential for ship strikes from large ships.
2. Buy items with less packaging - save paper and the energy used in production by wrapping your items in something reusable (beach and kitchen towels work well for this!) or at least using a reusable gift bag.
3. Decorate with recycled/repurposed items, such as hand-me-downs or decorations purchased at yard sales or thrift stores.
4. Where possible, reuse wrapping paper, gift bags and bows.
5. What are your ideas for having a greener holiday? Share them here.